Sunday, November 9, 2008

Things I hope to see in the next 4 years...Pt. 1

This has been a big year. Not only did I have a REAL birthday, but we elected a new president and the summer olympics came and went. These are things that happen every four years (that's an easy way to remember when my real birthday is!), but it only makes me think about how things will be and what will be happening in 2012 (yikes!). Of course I want the economy to improve, our dependence on foreign oil to lessen and the unemployment rate to go down, among other things talked about ad nauseum (and rightly) during the campaign. But here are other things (not just political).

The re-emergence of personal responsibility in our society. With the housing crisis and economic situation our country is in, we seem to have become a victim society. I actually wanted one of the presidential candidates to say, "part of the problem is the american people and the bad choices we have made." Hello, even though there are definitely big companies and greedy CEO's to blame, we also need to take responsibility for our decisions and part in all this. And also I want to start taking more responsibility for the things we want changed in our country instead of letting the government do everything, and expect government mandates and laws to change people's lives.

The Chicago Cubs advancing in the playoffs. They don't have to win the World Series, but just one series, guys. Then maybe you could get that monkey off your back.

A shift in the "entitlement" mentality of my generation and younger (for the most part). I don't know when it happened, and perhaps it's just some people (of course it's not everyone, and noone that reads this blog!) We think that we deserve everything and more that our parents have now, though they have worked 30+ years to get it. We don't buy things with cash anymore, we get ourselves into so much debt that it's not logical that we will ever get out, we have to have certain things in our homes (or certain TYPES of homes) to feel like we belong...but belong to what I don't quite know. It's hollow and empty, and of course I'm guilty of it too. We need to stop trying to fill our lives with "things" and figure out what actually is fulfilling.

Brayden going to Kindergarten. OH MY GOSH. That's crazy.

That's what I can think of right now. I'll add some more when I think of them!

4 comments:

"I'm Rachel" said...

You know, it's totally true -- all of it, but especially that entitlement thing. I'm not blaming it ALL on parents -- and certainly not every person in their 20's to early 30's exhibits this behavior -- but I do think a major dis-service is done when parents don't teach their children the value of a dollar and/or hard work, and just shower them with anything and everything they could ever want in the name of "giving your children more than what you had". It's resulted in an entire generation of people who think they are just entitled to whatever they want. Whatever their whim.
(This is kind of a pet-peeve of mine and I could go on and on.... but I'll spare you....or this is going to be one LONG comment!) ha ha! :)

DW said...

Amen, sister! I think the entitlement thing is partially a result of multi-generational welfare. It used to be used for a stepping stone to a better life. Now it is the "better" life. For those who are not part of the system, it might be a result of just plain old fashioned spoiling. You know, I had a lot of parents when I worked day care who would feel guilty about the time away from their children and tell me they bought this or that because they felt bad. Not such a great result, I'm afraid! Enough social commentary...I hope you guys are doing fine. We are...just living the crazy life as usual.

Rebecca said...

Wow! I totally agree with you, Erin! You know I work at an insurance office and couldn't believe the types of homes and cars people our age were getting--making probably the same money that Jarod and I make. I was constantly thinking "no way will this last!" and guess what? you reap what you sow, baby...

Rebecca said...

I guess I sounded a bit harsh. I don't want anyone losing their homes or anything..but people need to think before they buy!